Dating Apps is another trend that we Indians have adapted from western culture in recent times. We had first heard about it with the introduction of Tinder in India.
However, we have many other such apps like OkCupid, TrulyMadly, etc. each having its own uniqueness.
The usage of these apps has grown constantly in the last few years.
According to a study done in back 2011, the statistics had shown that around 85 million urban Indians were singles and were looking for partners.
This was a huge market and companies like Tinder, OkCupid which were then gaining popularity in the West saw the chance to monetize the Indian market.
Though it can never be said that establishing these apps in a country like India was easy.
In India where the concept of dating only was considered taboo until a few years back, the concept of casual dating or hooking up for a one-night relationship is still not completely accepted by society.
However, our Indian youth has come a long way along this path.
Looking at the current situation we can say that now dating apps have become a part of our everyday life.
We see many people around us who are active users of these apps. People go on dates with whom they match on the apps.
Not only that many people find friends from there and also some turn into serious relationships.
What Is The Impact Of Pandemic On The Dating Apps?
Some recent studies by Business Insider, have revealed that the use of the dating apps has increased to a great extent especially during this COVID-19 lockdown period.
Lockdown has made people realize the pain of loneliness. People are now craving for human touch and companionship sitting at home.
They are searching for some emotional connection amidst all the chaos. And the most convenient way that they have discovered to overcome this suffering is these dating apps.
Apps like Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid have seen a rapid increase in their number of users during this lockdown period.
Reports have shown that matches on OkCupid have increased by 10% while conversations have also gone up by 20% since March 2020.
Similarly, Bumble has also seen a 29% increase in messages sent and a 17% increase in video calls around the same time.
The usage of Tinder’s Passport feature which allows users to connect with people anywhere in the world has increased by 25% in India.
While the basic idea was to look for some casual dating or physical relationships through these apps, the lockdown has changed that perspective.
Now it is about finding someone with whom you can get into a serious relationship and can have some emotional bonding.
Now let’s get into the details of some of the best online dating apps of India.
List of some of the Most Commonly used Dating Apps in India
Whenever we talk about online dating, Tinder is the first name that comes to our mind. It is the most popular dating app in India, marketed in India since 2016.
You can log in using your Facebook account or if you do not want to link your Facebook account you can also set up an account using your number.
Your profile will have your name, age, picture, and bio.
You can swipe right if you like someone’s profile or left if you don’t. If two people mutually right-swiped each other then it’s a match and they can start a conversation.
On the free account, you can swipe on a limited number of people in a day and that too from your locality.
However, the two premium packages, Tinder Gold and Tinder Plus have additional features like unlimited swipes, Super Like a profile, changing of location, and the option to check who has liked your profile.
If both the parties agree then the option of video chatting is also there.
It is also the best dating app for college students for hooking up.
- If you use your Facebook account for logging in then Tinder shows you profiles based on your likes and dislikes that they observe in the Facebook account.
- There are plenty of options.
- It is for all men, women, and LGBTQ members.
- Once you swipe on someone there is no chance of undoing the action.
- You cannot search for any person using their name.
TrulyMadly is a ‘Made in India’ product, which was inspired by Tinder but keeping in mind the Indian culture. It was launched in August 2014.
Their account verification procedure is very tight. They ask for identification proof.
The more you verify things like Facebook, Linkedin, phone number, photo ID, your trust score will increase which makes your profile more trustworthy to others.
Its Spark feature allows you to start a conversation with anyone even if that person has not liked your profile.
The Incognito mode of this app allows chatting only with those people whom you have liked. During that time your profile will be invisible to others.
Through the paid version you can play compatibility quizzes with your matches and get to know them better.
- They take profile verification very seriously.
- No one can download or take screenshots of your photos, which ensure security.
- By referring the app to others you can increase your trust score.
- The paid version does not contain any advertisements.
- Unlike Tinder, it’s not so popular so fewer options to choose from.
Tantan is similar to Tinder UI but it is being developed by a Chinese company.
Its unique Break The Ice feature provides a series of witty questions that you can ask your match to know each other better.
The paid version allows unlimited profile lies and changes in location feature.
- If by chance you share your contact list with the app then your profile will not be visible to others. Thus, it ensures privacy.
- This app has a lack of quality and potential matches.
Aisle is another Indian dating app that mainly focuses on serious relationships rather than hookups. It was launched in July 2014.
You have to log in using your Facebook or Linkedin profile.
The uniqueness of this app lies in its verification process. They give a long questionnaire which you need to fill and submit for verification.
And once they are satisfied then only they will approve your account. It is the best dating app for professionals in India.
- The whole verification process makes the accounts trustworthy. There is very little chance of falling into the trap of a fake account.
- This app promotes meaningful dates and long term relationships rather than casual dating.
- Its verification process is rather long, takes almost 2 days to approve an account.
- You have to pay if you want to invite someone to start a conversation. And the price is quite expensive.
OkCupid is an international dating app that is available in a total of 113 countries including India. It has been available in India since 2014.
While apps like Tinder are mainly based on people’s looks, OkCupid provides a series of questions, and based on your answers they will show you others’ profiles.
They also show the compatibility score between two people so that you can get your perfect match.
The local dating feature will help you find people who stay nearby and it also has the virtual dating feature.
The paid version provides many advanced search filters, you can see has liked your profile, and does not contain any ad.
- The questions asked by the app are localized so that the Indians can relate to them.
- You can find people based on several search filters that you can apply in the search section.
- It has a simple messaging interface.
- You can hide your profile from someone or block someone.
- They also give preference to your sexual orientation.
- There can be a lot of fake accounts as their verification process is not that strong.
Bumble is originally a US-based company which entered India in December 2018.
It is a multi-purpose app whose motive is not only to promote dating but you can also use it for finding friends and building your career.
You can create your account using your Facebook or by your phone number.
This app gives more power to women. When there is a match between the profiles of two heterosexual people, the woman has to start the conversation and the man will have to respond within the next 24 hours.
This is only for Bumble Date. However, for homosexual matches, anybody can take the first step.
There is also Bumble BFF for making new friends and Bumble Bizz where you can expand your network, find mentors, and thus can create career opportunities for yourself.
Bumble has strict rules for making the place safe and user-friendly.
- This app is definitely for women.
- Other than left swipe and right swipe you can also SuperSwipe if you find someone’s profile very interesting.
- Matchmaking happens mainly based on preferences and not looks.
- 60% of the matches result in a conversation.
- Giving only 24 hours to respond to messages can be inconvenient.
Happn is another international dating app available in India since 2014.
The specialty of this app is that it uses your phone’s location.
So, if you have someone using this app in your locality or you cross paths with someone who is a user of this app then Happn will immediately add his or her profile at the top of your feed.
If both of you like each other’s profile then it’s a match.
Once two profiles match then you can interact even if the other person is not in your proximity.
You need to sign up using your Facebook account.
People also use this app for hook up purposes. One of the best local dating app in India right now.
- Using this app is a definite advantage if you have a crush in your locality then you can find that person and swipe right.
- Getting the chance of dating a random person that you have seen somewhere and have found attractive surely makes the app interesting.
- The free version will allow you to send only a limited number of messages.
Starting as a dating website Hinge was established even before Tinder in the USA and entered the Indian market in 2015.
Hinge requires your Facebook account for logging in. And its unique feature is that it will show you profiles of your Facebook friends, friends of your friends, and also 3rd-degree friends.
Based on the photos and the answers given by the user, Hinge creates a timeline that other people can see and they can also like and comment, which paves a path for starting a conversation.
- The app quickly grasps your type and shows those profiles which have some compatibility with your profile.
- Once a pair of match profiles go on a date Hinge takes feedback from them about their date for future purposes.
- The app fails to eliminate those profiles from your feed with which you have already matched.
Woo aims at setting up well-educated professionals in their network area.
It offers features like voice introduction, tag search, questions and answers, and direct messaging.
Through the Woo Phone feature, women can make calls directly through the app and Woo Secret does not disclose information like name, location, and phone numbers of the women.
The Woo Same feature will help you to find individuals with similar interests with the help of Interest Tags.
- The app has many extra security features for women. Keeping their personal details confidential and allowing them to call someone without disclosing their phone numbers are beneficial for women.
- Once you get connected to someone, the app will not let you [proceed to messaging without making a payment.
Also read: 20 Most useful Android apps for daily use.
Badoo is one of the largest dating apps which has around 400 million users worldwide. If you’re looking for the best dating apps better than tinder, then it is one of them.
It was developed by a Russian entrepreneur. Currently, it is available in 190 countries in 47 different languages.
It is kind of similar to Tinder but has other additional features. Its “Near me” option will enable you to find people from your locality. And it uses your preferences and provides the best matches.
It is one of the best apps to try online dating in India.
- You can live stream yourself in the app and can have a video chat with other users.
- You can also send virtual gifts to other users through the app.
Thus you can see that there are a plethora of online dating apps. And mind you these are not the only apps available, there are many more but these are some of the best that you will get.
Whether you want to enjoy the instant gratification of casual dating and hookups or you want to try your luck in having a serious relationship these are your go-to apps especially in this lockdown when meeting new people has become a distant reality.
Also with the growing number of users of these apps if you are still hesitant about becoming a member of this dating jungle I would rather suggest take a plunge in this pool and experience it at least once in your lifetime.
Some commonly asked questions about dating apps.
What is the Best Dating App 2020?
Currently Bumble is the best dating app with its unique 3 in 1 feature. Not only for dating but you can also use it for making new friends and building your career by connecting with a mentor from your field.
Which is the best app for dating?
Apart from Bumble, Tinder is still one of the most popular dating apps in India. However, it is mainly for casual dating.
Which is the best free dating app in India?
Tinder seems to be the best free dating site in India. There are many options available and it is especially for college students as its target market is people between 18 to 23 years.
Does online dating really work in India?
Personally I think online dating is good for casual dating or hookups but there’s not much positive response for serious relationships.
Which dating apps are completely free in India?
No dating app is completely free. Every app provides some features for free but never gives full access to the app for free.
However, how much free access you will get varies from app to app. Free versions of Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge are pretty good.
Is Hinge good for dating?
Yes, Hinge is good for dating. It shows profiles according to your preferences and also in case a pair who have matched on Hinge goes on a date then Hinge takes feedback from them.
Is Badoo better than Tinder?
Personally I think Badoo is better than Tinder. On Tinder things mostly depend on looks, whereas Badoo emphasizes more on preferences. Also, it has many other additional features.
Is Hinge a hookup app?
Not sure for hookups but you can definitely use Hinge for casual dating.
Is Bumble a hookup app?
Bumble does not particularly give a hookup vibe, rather it promotes relationship and friendships.
Which dating app is best for serious relationships?
Aisle and Bumble are some of the best apps for serious relationships.