With the covid 19 pandemic taking its toll around the world and the lockdown imposed on some parts of the world, it has been becoming increasingly monotonous for many people to spend their time and entertain themselves within the confines of their home.
Due to this reason, having access to the internet has become one of the most important necessities for most people.
Many families are considering having Wi-Fi for doing work from homes.
It might be difficult for some people to decide what Wi-Fi router might actually be a good one for them.
What is a Wi-Fi Mesh Network System?
A WiFi router or a wireless router is an electronic device that is designed to function as a router as well as a wireless access point.
The main function of a wireless router or WiFi router is to receive data from the internet and send it to other devices.
Through the use of radio signals, it shares the data received from the internet.
The router does this by converting the data stream that is delivered by your internet connection into radio signals.
Mesh WiFi, also referred to as whole home WiFi systems is a system that provides WiFi connection throughout your home or throughout your office.
This system consists of a main WiFi router which is connected directly to your modem.
Along with this there are several satellite modules, or nodes that are placed all around your house at various spots to ensure full WiFi Coverage.
All the pieces are a part of the same WiFi network that contains the same SSID and password.
|Best in class technology, performance & coverage||Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 System||Check it out|
|Editor's choice for the Best Wi-Fi mesh system in India||ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)||Check it out|
|Budget friendly option under 40K INR||TP-Link Deco X60 AX3000||Check it out|
Top Five Wi-Fi Mesh Network Systems in India of 2021
These are our top recommendations for ultimate Wi-Fi mesh network solution for thick concrete walls in our home.
Also see our selection criteria and buyer guide for more practical knowledge about these tech gadgets.
TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Mesh Wi-Fi System
This is the first WiFi mesh network system that we are going to discuss in this article is the TP-link deco M9 Plus mesh WiFi system.
It is one of the WiFi mesh systems that is the easiest to set up. Furthermore, it can be considered to be one of the best WiFi networks for homes in India.
From thick walls to concrete walls to whole house coverage, this WiFi is a truly perfect choice for those who are looking for best mesh WiFi for thick walls or best WiFi mesh system in India.
- It is easy to install.
- It is compatible with Alexa and IFTTT.
- It has been proved to be solid throughout testing.
- It has built-in virus and malware protection.
- It has really solid and secure parental controls.
- It can be really expensive.
- It cannot separate radio bands
- It does not contain Z- wave support
Google Nest Wi-Fi
Google nest is the next mesh WiFi system that we are going to talk about here. It is a WiFi mesh system that consists of two pieces- the router and one satellite.
It is really pleasing to look at with its sleek design and also very user friendly. It also has powerful hardware and also supports google assistant.
Google nest WiFi is also available as a three piece system. The three piece system covers more area than the two piece system.
- It has a really stylish design that will look good on your wall.
- It has a solid consistent performance.
- It is really easy to install.
- It has a built-in google assistant.
- It does not possess a dedicated backhaul band.
- It has no anti-malware tools.
- You will require a separate app for advanced settings.
- It does not possess any USB ports.
ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)
Third we come to the Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) WiFi mesh network system.
It is a full home coverage WiFi 6 router and has been listed under best WiFi mesh network systems for 2021.
It delivers data really fast all around the house and is fairly easy to set up. Also it helps eliminate the dead zones around your house with its two piece kit.
- It is quite easy to install
- It has an excellent consistent performance throughout your house.
- It has permanent parental controls.
- It has high network security tools.
- It possesses a multi gig LAN port.
- It has USB connectivity.
- It is really costly.
- If you want to access advanced settings, you will require a web console.
Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 System
Next on our list is the Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 mesh network system.
This is another two piece mesh network system that provides full coverage to your home.
Even if you are looking for the best wifi mesh network systems for concrete walls, this product would be a good choice for you.
Not only concrete walls, you can fit on any wall of your house and will get good internet speed throughout your house.
- It is really easy to install.
- It contains a multi gig WAN.
- It possesses four LAN ports.
- It gives the user a solid consistent connection.
- It is extremely expensive.
- It contains no anti-malware.
- It lacks parental control.
- It has no USB connectivity.
TP-Link Deco X60 AX3000 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
Last but not the least, on our list is another TP-Link product- The X60 AX3000 whole homes mesh system.
As it uses the latest WiFi 6 technology, and provides whole home coverage, it is on our list of best wifi routers and mesh systems.
From the performance standpoint, it might not be the best, but it is fast enough and the network connectivity would not lag in any corner of your house.
- It has an easy installation and management process.
- It has a pretty good signal range.
- It has solid parental controls.
- It has a lifetime malware protection.
- It supports Alexa.
- It lacks USB connectivity.
- It has a dynamic wireless backhaul.
A great alternative to this model is Linksys WHW0303 AC 6600 Tri-Band Mesh Router.
Linksys WHW0303 AC 6600 Tri-Band Mesh Router
This is very popular and trust brand when it comes to home network solution devices.
As the name suggests, this is a tri-band mesh router that provides 2.4hz, 5hz & 5hz bands. Thus covering all old and new tech devices that runs on both the bandwidth.
Nonetheless, it is powered by MU-MIMO technology, this is next generation technology that seamless connects and delivers internet to multiple users & devices without any lag.
This device is perfect for apartments with 4-5 bedrooms, 6000sq ft office building and warehouses.
Furthermore, they have a dedicated smartphone app to control the mesh system using your phone directly without accessing your desktop or laptops.
Things to Keep in Mind while Buying a Wif-Fi Router
By the way is this also the selection criteria that we used to search, select and rank the products mentioned in this article.
So please go through these tips to get more insight and enough data to make your final purchase decision.
So written below, are a few pointers that one needs to remember while buying a router.
Pay Attention to the Price
There is this conception among the common man that the more expensive something is, the better performance it will deliver.
While, for some devices or pieces of equipment or amenities, this notion is absolutely true, for some, it is not.
It is usually observed that people run after brand names without even considering taking a look at some less popular or known brands.
Do not waste your money behind some branded router, rather it is recommended that you take a look at all kinds of routers before you decide what to buy.
Always remember that in the case of a router it does not mean that the more expensive the router is, the smoother it will run.
Just because a Wi-Fi router belongs to an expensive brand does not mean that it will run more smoothly than routers that belong to less expensive brands.
So yes, it is very important that you pay attention to the price of the router before buying it.
Speed Ratings are Basically Useless
Let us talk about a misleading notion regarding Wi-Fi routers. So, many of you might have noticed that the speed limit of WiFi is written on its package.
For example, some tri-band routers read that they can reach a speed up to 2.2Gbps (Gigabit per second) which is equal to 2200Mbps (Megabit per second).
This is totally wrong.
This 2.2Gbps speed combines the speed each band provides and uses that to lure customers.
One thing should be clear to buyers that there is no such thing as combined speed because a one-time connection can be made to only one of those bands.
You cannot connect to all the bands at the same time and the fastest band available provides 867Mbps speed.
So be careful about that.
Your ISP Sets the Speed Limit
As long as we are still on the topic of Wifi speed, let us make one thing clear.
Your Internet Service Provider, that is, your ISP sets your speed limit.
No matter how fast your router is, ultimately it is up to your plan with the Internet Service Provider how much speed you will get.
For example, if you are paying for a 100Mbps speed, then that is as fast as your internet will go while you are browsing the web or streaming a video.
Do Not Forget About Coverage
It is a very common habit of people to just focus on the speed while buying a router.
“Fast enough” and “not fast enough”, are the only two speeds that actually matter when it comes to internet speed.
So yes, going hand in hand with the speed, is the coverage of your WiFi.
For example, when you are in the same room as the router, you are getting amazing speed, but when you are at the other side of the house, in your room, trying to stream movies and shows late at night, you do not get a good speed.
So, you see, even though speed matters, a good router is all about the coverage.
One thing you can do to fix this coverage problem is that you can make an expandable mesh system instead of a single-point router.
Mesh routers might not deliver steady fast speed like a single point router but they will ensure that “fast enough” internet speed is available at all corners of your house.
The Mesh Router and WiFi 6 is a Great Combination
WiFi 6 is the latest and the fastest WiFi available.
In a mesh setup, as you know, there are multiple devices set up throughout your house for better coverage.
Make sure that all those devices support WiFi 6.
After this setup is done, then the data will move throughout your house faster and more efficiently.
The Router Should be Dual Band or More
The days of single-band routers are long gone. They have become a thing of the past nowadays.
Make sure that the router you buy is at least dual-band, maybe a triple-band, or more.
Dual-band routers broadcast wireless signals on two frequencies and tri-band routers broadcast wireless signals on three frequencies and so on.
Also, another thing to be known is that one of the frequencies is always 2.4 GHz because it works with old WiFi standards like the WiFi 4.
This is a major advantage of the 2.4 GHz band along with the fact that it has a wider coverage area.
But also it has the disadvantage of being slow and also, congestion is always a problem. Specifically, due to these disadvantages, a dual-band router or more is preferred.
Check this out: Best dual-band Wi-Fi routers in India
Advantages of Mesh Network Systems
- Mesh network systems offer more coverage than a single router network system. All the satellites and nodes throughout your house make a whole networking system, and they work together to give you better coverage.
- Mesh networks systems eliminate dead zones. Dead zones are those points in your house where you do not get access to your Wi-Fi connection due to low or no signal. If you have a mesh networking system instead of a single Wi-Fi access point, this makes sure the network is available throughout every point in your house. This helps in eliminating dead zones.
- You will be able to manage a mesh network system very easily through the help of your smartphone. Most mesh systems are accompanied by a smartphone app that is used to understand the basics of operating the mesh system. In this way, you do not need a third person to help operate your mesh network system.
- You will really have less or almost no connection issues if you have a mesh network system.
- As mentioned before, mesh network systems give more coverage and provide a stronger network connection as all the parts of this system work together. Because of this reason, you will face less connectivity issues and connection failures.
Disadvantages of Mesh Network Systems
- The speed becomes slower with every satellite they hop into and move through every point. So the further you move across your house, you will lose a little bit of speed but yes, you would not lose your connectivity.
- All the devices that make up your Wi-Fi mesh network system will be kind of costly all together.
- Also, the bigger your house is, the more devices you would need and the more you have to spend on Wi-Fi mesh network systems.
- Mesh networks can sometimes be way too user-friendly. This means that, yes, it will be easy to use for more customers, but some advanced Wi-Fi users might find the systems lacking. For example, the systems now lack the ability to change the DHCP IP.
- Also, another drawback is that users cannot add custom DNS. This can be frustrating for many users.
What is the difference between Wi-Fi mesh system & regular Wi-Fi?
The difference is in the principle working method. Traditional Wi-Fi provides network coverage from one source whereas Wi-Fi mesh a.k.a. whole home Wi-Fi provides network coverage from multiple sources.
Regular Wi-Fi provides coverage to a limited space in your home, where Wi-Fi mesh systems can provide network coverage to every room in the house.
For instance, normal Wi-Fi will try to provide network from a single source, thus with distance the network strength will gradually decrease, and dead zones will increase too.
But in case of a mesh Wi-Fi, it is continuously providing internet thorough multiple devices, a.k.a. Wi-Fi nodes.
Suppose you in a bedroom you’ll get connected to the Wi-Fi node closed to you and if you’re in our garage you’ll be connected to nodes closer to your location.
This ensures better coverage and performance with low latency.
What is the best WiFi mesh system for home?
There are several WiFi mesh network systems that are best for your home.
Google Nest WiFi, D-Link mesh WiFi routers and many more are there that are top-notch quality WiFi mesh systems for home.
For more details, refer to the subheading “Top eight WiFi Mesh Network systems”.
What is the best mesh network system?
There are many mesh network systems that can be considered to be the best.
Some of them are Google nest WiFi, Asus Zen WiFi, and many more. I have discussed this in detail in this article previously.
Is a WiFi mesh network worth it?
There are many mesh network systems that can be considered to be the best. Some of them are Google nest Wi-Fi, Asus Zen WiFi, and many more. I have discussed this in detail in this article previously.
What is the best WiFi 6 mesh system?
WiFi 6 is the latest WiFi and if you use WiFi six with any of the mesh systems I have discussed above, you will get all the best benefits of a WiFi 6 mesh system.
Which one should you buy? Regular or mesh wifi system?
Well it’s quite simple, if you require coverage limited to just your home and nearby space then go for regular device but if you want to have Wi-Fi connection around your entire home or office then Wi-Fi mesh system is the ideal choice.
In conclusion I would like to say that all WiFi systems have their own advantages and disadvantages.
It is up to the user to decide what they need and buy the system accordingly. I have already discussed what to look for in a WiFi router while buying.
With the help of that guide, an individual will surely be able to decide what they need for their house.
But yes, I would say this, that the bigger your house is, the more it is in need of a WiFi mesh network system rather than a single router.
It will ensure perfect coverage and network connectivity. Upon giving my opinion, I will end this article by saying that the rest is up to the user to decide.
2000+ Geeks Community
Get fast access to gadgets, tech news & deals!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.