Investing in a good refrigerator is a long-term important decision in every home. For quite some time now, it is unimaginable to think of a kitchen with no fridge in it.
Other than it’s obvious used to keep food products cold, it also keeps most foods safe and extends their shelf lives. The cold temperature can slow down the growth of bacteria, which when allowed proliferating may cause a variety of diseases.
As technology progressively improved over time, so did the frosting ability of refrigerators. What once used to be manual defrosting is now far simpler and straightforward.
When refrigerators first came on the market, the users would have to press a button to defrost the ice deposits every once in a while.
But now there are several other options available for purchase.
The main two types of popularly available in the Indian market are Direct Cool Refrigerators and Frost-Free Refrigerators.
Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages which we will see in detail in the following article to help you make the right choice before purchasing a new refrigerator.
What do you mean by direct cool refrigerator?
Direct Cool refrigerators directly cool their insides through the air circulation aided by the natural process of convection.
What do you mean by Frost Free Refrigerator?
Frost Free refrigerators evenly cool their inside through air circulation aided by electric fans, which eliminates frost formation.
Direct Cool vs Frost Free Refrigerator Technology: Comparison
Although these options essentially perform the same function of keeping the food inside cold, they are different in several ways. Right from the working, we will now analyze the main differences between Direct Cool and Frost-Free refrigerators.
The cooling in both refrigerators is the outcome of the circulation of cool air. Now with direct refrigerators, the air circulates freely due to natural convection.
This refers to the transfer of heat through the movement of a liquid or gas across different temperature regions. Since the air moves freely around, it is not possible for the temperature differences to be controlled.
The result of this is the collection of frost in the fridge, especially around the freezer box, which has to be removed manually by cleaning or pressing a button.
In contrast, in the case of Frost-Free fridges, the cold air is circulated with the aid of in-built electric fans. Due to this, the temperature across the different parts of the fridge remains constant and frost formation is avoided.
Once the desired temperature is reached, the thermostat cuts off the power supply until the next required. Some Frost-Free models are also equipped with a heating system that can melt any frost formation that may occur automatically.
Given the extra equipment like electric fans, thermostat, and heater that Frost Free refrigerators come with they tend to consume more power. Since the air circulation in Direct Cool refrigerators is not aided by any external source, the power consumed is less.
Direct Cool refrigerators owing to the uneven distribution of temperature there is a deposition of ice/frost. Due to this, the design of these fridges is limited to single door usage to ensure that the cooling is not impacted.
On the contrary, since the cooling is even and controllable in Frost Free fridges, they have more design options available ranging from double doors to even triple or side-by-side door designs.
In addition to this, the capacity of the Direct Cool models is often reduced and are suitable only for smaller sized families. Whereas, Frost free models often have a more versatile capacity that caters to all family sizes.
When it comes to keeping food fresh and cool, Frost Free models perform far better than Direct Cool models. The duration for which food lasts in Direct cool refrigerators is comparatively less.
Especially when it comes to Frozen food, the Frost-Free models can keep them stored much better and for longer without any freezer burns since there is no ice formation.
Since Direct Cool models are not equipped with a heating system, there are no erratic heating problems presented by it. But in the case of Frost-Free refrigerators in an in-built heating mechanism is designed to melt the frost formation in the freezers.
This coupled with the heat generated by the electric fans can produce some external heat.
To counter this the fridge has to be placed at least a few inches away from the wall on every side, in addition to a regular check-up.
Due to the frost formation in a Direct Cool refrigerator, the cleaning process is more tedious and requires to be done regularly. The consequences of not cleaning range from discoloration to contamination of the food over time.
But in Frost Free refrigerators this type of rigorous and regular cleaning is not needed since the heating system automatically melts the frost if any.
Owing to the lack of extra features, the Direct Cool refrigerator models cost comparatively lesser when compared to the more equipped Frost-free models. In addition to costing less, the electric bill it presents is also reduced.
This is not to say that there are no affordable options for the Frost-free models which are increasingly becoming more and more popular. Source Businesswire.
So, which one is better?
Now that we have seen the differences between Direct Cool refrigerators and Frost-Free refrigerators. Let us compare the features of these two options side-by-side and pick what is overall a better choice.
All things considered; it should be fairly evident that Frost Free Refrigerators have the upper hand over the Direct Cool models.
Although the investment is higher, Frost Free models tend to keep food fresh for longer and do not require frequent cleaning. This is especially true in the case of large families that require a storage capacity that exceeds 250 liters.
In contrast, for smaller families, who 3 members or fewer – Direct Cool fridges could be a better option. This is since the electrical efficiency of these will result in a reduced bill at the end of every month.
Also read: Refrigerator Buying Guide India
Direct Cool Refrigerators: Good & Bad
- Direct cool fridges utilize less electrical power as compared to the frost-free models
- Since they do not have any heating system, the external heat production is close to zero and can thus be placed in any convenient place
- They are good at keeping food products fresh over a short duration of time
- The capacity and design is well suited for 2-3 family members
- Unlike frost-free models, frost formation is common
- Cleaning the fridge has to be done regularly and is a manual process
- The problem with these models is that it is not suitable for larger families as the air cannot cool a large area evenly
- Only a single door design is possible for it to function without compromising on the cooling
Best Direct Cool Refrigerator options available in India
LG 215 L 4-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator
- 215 liters capacity
- Toughened Glass shelves to hold the weight of food items to 175 kg
- The weight is only 40 kilograms
- Spill proof glass shelves
- Smart inverter compressor
- Moist ‘N’ Fresh feature to retain moisture inside the fridge and keep food fresh for longer than usual
- 5-star energy rating
- 1-year product warranty
- 10-year compressor warranty
- Smart connect technology helps you connect your refrigerator to the home inverter in case of power cuts.
- Base stand drawer for extra storage
- Can operate between 90V to 310V, so does not require a stabilizer
- Defrost every night
- May produce some noise while operating
Whirlpool 190 L 3 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator
- 190 liters capacity
- Adjustable pair of front levelling stand
- The weight is only 45 kilograms
- Wired Shelf
- 3-Star Energy rating
- 1-year product warranty
- 5-year compressor warranty
- Large freezer and ice tray capacity
- Cooling retention lasts up to 9 hours
- Jumbo storage space (for 2L and 3L bottles)
- Easy to clean antibacterial gasket to prevent fungi and bacterial build-up
- Honeycomb moisture lock-in technology can provide optimum moisture for vegetables
- Lower star rating than its counterparts
- Require manual defrosting more often than most
Haier 170 L 2 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator
- 170 litres capacity
- The weight is only 30 kilograms
- Diamond Edge Freezing Technology offers better cooling retention
- Large Vegetable Box
- Has a defrost button that makes defrosting easy
- Has durable wired shelves
- PUF Insulation can maintain low temperatures even if there is a power cut
- Suitable for 1-2 people
- Can operate without a stabilizer
- May retain water after usage
- Small size is not convenient to store all sizes of containers/food items
- Low energy star rating
You may also like: Best selling double door refrigerators in India
Frost Free Refrigerators: Good & Bad
- The cool air is moved around due to the effect of electric fans within the fridge. This prevents frost formation so no manual cleaning is required.
- These models can retain the freshness in food items for longer as compared to Direct Cool technology.
- Due to uniform cooling, these come in double, triple, and even side-by-side door designs.
- Ranging from 50 to 650 litres, they are well suited for most families.
- They come with a heating system that will automatically ensure that the frost is melted
- The frost-free models consume more electric power than Direct Cool models as compared to the direct cool refrigerators
- These are also more expensive owing to the extra features and built-in accessories like fans and heater.
Best Frost free Refrigerator options available in India
Samsung 253 L 4 Star Frost Free Double Door
- 253 liters capacity, with 69 liters freezer capacity
- 4-star energy rating
- Weighs 46 kilograms
- Movable Ice Tray makes it easy to dispense ice
- Slidable toughened glass trays
- Built-in Deodorizing Filter eliminates strong smells by passing the air through activated carbon filters.
- Digital Inverter Compressor allows automatic adjustment in cooling
- It can operate in the range of 100V – 300V, making it stabilizer free
- 1 year of product warranty
- 10 years of compressor warranty
- A 4-star rating means that it consumes lower electricity
- Digital display
- LED lights
- The freezer door is delicate
- Since the trays are movable, they have to be handled with care
- The trays are thicker than usual
Whirlpool 240 L Frost-Free Multi-Door Refrigerator
- 240 liters capacity
- Weighs 52 kg
- Has 3 doors that offer better cooling retention
- Moisture retention technology that maintains freshness
- Micro block technology offers an anti-microbial additive that prevents up to 99% bacterial growth
- Zeolite technology prevents excess ripening of fruits and vegetables
- 1 year of product warranty
- 10 years of compressor warranty
- Cooling technology allows temperature control knob for adjusting the temperature
- Offers exclusive bottom drawer for the freshness of fruits and vegetables
- Produces some noise while working
Samsung 324L 3 Star Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- 324 liters capacity
- Weighs 56 kg
- 3-star energy rating
- Auto defrost function prevents ice build-up
- Convertible 5 in 1 mode allows you to customize your cooling needs
- Digital inverter compressor is durable, efficient, and silent
- 1-year product warranty
- 10 years compressor warranty
- Twin cooling allows separate air flows in the fridge and freezer
- Power freezing makes ice 31% faster
- The door alarm sounds if it is not closed completely
- This model does not come with Fresh room/Cool pack feature
- Slightly Expensive as compared to the rest
Now that you have seen the differences as well as a few good options for both frost free and direct cool models, you can choose the right refrigerator for you. This is an important investment so make sure to do your research before making the purchase.
The list of options in this article is subject to change with new products and features in the market.
However, this should have given you a good idea of what to look for depending on your current budget, capacity requirement and other factors. Use the options here to compare others as well before making your final decision.
2000+ Geeks Community
Get fast access to gadgets, tech news & deals!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.